Thursday, September 24, 2009

The Burn - or how I learned to love the Heat!

Some time after high school I learned that I love buffalo wings, and that turned into a desire for spicier foods. The problem was, it started with one of the most disgusting hot wings known to man! Denny's used to, and probably still does, serve chicken fingers covered in a buffalo sauce that was birthed in bowels of some nether creature. And how one could love such an abomination is still unknown to me. But it lit a fire in me... crappy unintentional pun there.

In the last few months I've wanted to take my insatiable hunger for all things buffalo(the wing sauce, not the buffalo my ancestors used to feast upon) to another level. It might be because I've taken a liking to Man vs. Food, but I like the idea of enjoying the hotter things in life without crying, frying, and dying.... in that order.

I should probably explain "the burn" - It's the retention of heat from the spicy food you're eating. Mild salsa, Bell Peppers, or other Sweet Chilies don't provide much burn. You get some good flavour, but it's not what you'd expect. However, when you move to some medium salsa's or seeded jalepeno's you'll find yourself with a mild, mild burn left over if you've had enough. What I'm looking to hone is the ability to eat death... raw, inhuman... and be able to enjoy it and be satisfied. That's where the "other" peppers come in! The non-seeded Jalepeno's in green and red, the sassy Serrano, the sweet but SPICy Habanero, the bloody Scotch Bonnet, and the Ghost Pepper(Bhut Jolokia - make fun of it's name and it'll come to your house, melt your tongue, and belittle your significant other)!

To be continued.....I'm long winded and incredibly hungry


1 comment:

  1. all I can think to say: why? Are you trying to kill yourself?

    ReplyDelete