Saturday, May 29, 2010

More Great Texas Stuff

Curators Note: We do not live in Texas. We were both born there(Leah 99% raised there and I got a full eight years out of it), met in California, but we will always have a special place for our original home. My list will be incomplete as I haven't been or seen everything that Texas has to offer. Feel free to comment to add to the list or email us to have me add something to the next grouping.

Marble Falls - We've driven through Marble Falls on our Wichita Falls - San Antonio trips. It has a great semi-small city feel. In some ways it's a lot like Palm Desert without the California feel. You won't go to Marble Falls and feel like you've stepped into Dallas proper. You can have a bite to eat at the River City Grille that's on Lake Marble Falls. Unfortunately I forget the name of this little design shop that Leah really enjoyed. It's across the 281 from the River City Grille. The folks were friendly and if you needed to get your home done in Texas or California they could be a fun group to work with.

Mineral Wells - Home of the Scariest Derelict Building Ever! The Baker Hotel was an exclusive stop for Mineral Wells at one point. It was a happening place for Hollywood stars and Presidents alike. We didn't know that when we first arrived. It looked like it was a mental institution that was no longer in use, but that the souls of those that lived there still haunted. There are windows busted out in the ominous building. I guess a company has purchased the building to attempt to restore it to it's former glory. I wish them the best of luck as that town does need a face lift. I don't recommend stopping in Mineral Wells unless to take a few pictures. Sorry for any offense. I'll update the page with a few pictures once I get on the repository laptop.

Wiseman House Chocolates - Here's another place that I wouldn't have stopped at if Leah had not seen it and wanted to go in. It's a cute chocolate shop in Hico, Texas that has a very renowned chocolatier helming a great little store. I have no desire to stick chocolate in my body.. the taste has never been something for me, but everyone else on the planet seems to enjoy it. If you are a fan of chocolate go and visit. If you can't visit grab yourself something online. You could tell them I recommended you, but it's not going to make a difference to people that don't know me.

Wichita Falls - The birthplace of my parents! It's where my family resides; honorable mentions of Mamaw and Aunt Nell. I've been going back to Wichita Falls year after year to visit family for reunions or Christmas or just because; except for a small hiatus right after high school where work wouldn't allow me. It'll always have a special place reserved for it. This is 99% for the family I've known that's lived there. The house my father grew up in is now underneath the freeway! But, you can still go by his grandparents dance studio and the school both parents went to. There's a great little BBQ joint called Stanley's - HOME OF THE BEANIE BURGER. It may sound disgusting, but it's the best heart stopping burger that I've ever had. It has beans, nacho cheese, fritos, and jalapeƱos on it. It's excellent. And where else are you going to get service from a fella' that has his cigarette's rolled up in his shirt sleeve. But family is the important part. I still get excited turning onto Mamaw's street. I'm always a little sad leaving - We always plan X amount of days and by the end of those it never feels like enough time. We love playing Rummy. It's also nice to just sit and enjoy reading a book with family. Perfect vacation time.

Well, I think that's it for the time being. We've worked our way up the main highlights that I found along the 281. In the next grouping, I think we'll go up into the panhandle and possibly down into Dallas - near where I was born.

-D

1 comment:

  1. so much fun to read about these places of interest! Keep it up! We like Marble Falls and plan to spend time there when we move. Our friends know some great places and I want to find the design shop - might get some help for our new home. And your W.F.s comments just make me homesick!

    ReplyDelete